Self-love, what is it? For me self-love means loving yourself enough to give yourself the love and respect that you deserve. Self-love is not about being narcissistic or self-absorbed. It is having a healthy dose of confidence and joy that comes from within.
At the beginning of my journey to loving myself more this concept of self-love always confused me. I thought to myself, is it actually possible to love yourself enough, doing so in a healthy manner without becoming cocky or full of pride. As I embarked on my inner journey, it wasn’t as easy as I thought. I was faced with experiences where it seemed everything and everyone was attacking me. My self-esteem was so low and I felt like a scared little girl unable to navigate through my own life and looking for someone to save me. It was at this point, my search for answers began. I started to attract the right people, circumstances and books required to guide me to creating more love within.
On my journey here are a few things I learned:
- If you don’t honor your inner light, you cannot attract the right circumstances into your life to create the beautiful life that you desire.
- The dialogue you have with yourself is very important. What are you telling yourself on a daily basis? Just as you are kind, caring, compassionate and loving to others, you also need to do this for yourself.
- Speaking your truth is pivotal in loving yourself. Your voice matters and what you say is important.
- My relationship with others is directly related to my relationship with myself. In order for me to create loving relationships I need to be more loving toward myself
- I need to stop beating myself up and start forgiving myself for past mistakes. For it is not in the past that we create the happy future that awaits us.
- No amount of stuff can make up for the feeling of emptiness inside. It doesn’t matter how much material possessions you accumulate, none of them will bring the happiness you desire and deserve.
- It’s ok to say NO to requests of your time, money, resources etc., without offering an explanation. The answer “NO” is a complete response. Those that love you enough will respect you for it and appreciate your honesty.
- Spending time alone to just BE is just as important as spending time with those you love i.e. family, friends and partner.
- Indulging in the simple things in life and engaging in activities that truly make your heart sing is a form of self-love.
- When you change from the inside out, so does your external world. You begin to create a happier and more fulfilling life for yourself.
Self-Love is pivotal in creating the life that you absolutely deserve and truly love. The result is optimal health and well-being, feeling a true connection to the Divine and your inner wisdom, beautiful and flourishing relationships and the clarity and peace of mind.